View Single Post
Old 06-16-2006, 05:01 AM
SWAcapt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2005
Position: B737, Capt.

Originally Posted by Floridaflipper
I wasn't able to make it Saturday. Does anyone know when (and if) they will have another one?
I don't know but I'll try and find out. To the best of my SWA knowlege, this was the first time they've done this.

Also, can someone explain the process by which you get a second interview if you don't make it on the first one? I've heard that you have to wait a year, but after the year is up, do you have hope for the luck of the draw again as far as getting the second interview, or are you automatically contacted to see if you are interested in re-interviewing.
You can reapply one year after your first interview. SWA will not come looking for you.

I would absolutely love to work at SWA, but the small amount of people hired in the first interview is very intimidating. That also makes it hard to justify getting the type before the interview.
It could seem intimidating but it used to actually be much harder. I got my type in Aug'93 and and had to wait for the application "day" on 01AUG94. All apps. post marked on that day were accepted and all others weren't. I then got a call for an interview SEP'95 and was placed in a pool. I was offered a job in FEB'96. I never had any doubt about getting hired. I knew it would happen. The interviewers can see confidence. Perhaps you may want to invest in a mock interview that is taylored to SWA and ask them for the brutal truth. Do they think you would succeed at the interwiew?
I don't really have any problem paying for the type, because you will make that money back very quickly. But here's my problem. Let's say that I go get the type now. It could be a year or more before I ever get an interview. Then if I don't get in on the first round and have another year before I get the second interview, I wonder how much of that training I am even going to remember.
In 2.5 years of getting the type and no practical application on the 737... I forgot it all. It will come back in training.
That's the main reason that I wish that they would, at least, interview without the type.
There's enough guys with the type applying to chose from. Good luck in your persuits. It's definitely worth it. I'll call a friend to see if they plan on another job fair.

Last edited by SWAcapt; 06-16-2006 at 11:49 AM.