Thread: Air Force Life
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2006, 05:22 AM
usmc-sgt
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jun 2006

I am not in the Air Force however i have friends there and know it is much more lenient and time consuming then the Marines. So i will explain my typical day and you can pretty much figure the Air Force will be very similiar if not a little better.

0500-0545 Wake up and take a shower, eat breakfast get ready for PT

0600-0730 PT usually run a few miles or some other sort of exercise
NOTE PT IS TYPICALLY MON-WED-FRI HOWEVER CAN BE MORE

0730-0830 Go home and take a shower, relax and get ready for work

0830-1115 Work, usually a typical job just hang around and get things accomplished, the more rank you have the less physical work you do, I am a Sergeant therfor i am a supervisor, people tell me what needs to get done and i make sure it gets done and supervise the results. I do not clean, sweap, mop, take out trash or anything of the sort. Much like any boss at your typical job

1115-1300 Eat lunch! Go wherever you want and do whatever you want, so long as it is legal and you are back by 1300

1300-1600 Continue working, or surfing the internet whichever comes first and than get ready to leave

1600-1630 Shop cleanup, exactly as it sounds. I ensure the workplace is clean and ready for the next days work

1630-0500 the next day You are off! You can go anywhere, and do anything you want, this includes, hang with your wife, friends, party, go to a movie, go out to dinner, anything that you would do as if it were a normal job..again, so long as it is legal and you are back to work at 0600 the next day for PT and do not REEK of alcohol.

On the days you do not PT you show up at 0700 and start work instead of the PT schedule.

Weekends my Battalion is great and we are usually off by noon for the weekend and you are free to do what you want until 0600 the following Monday.

EVERY federal holiday you WILL get a minimum of 3 days off, usually 4 starting at noon and being off for the following 3 or 4 days.

LEAVE, you will accumulate 2.5 days off per month for leave, they add up fast especially with deployments (i have 87.5) when you have leave you can put in your leave papers, typically min. 2 weeks in advance and go wherever. Most will go home to their families or go on vacation. Leave is usually a few weeks but it is not uncommon for someone to take over 30 at a time. LEAVE IS PAID!

now the storm cloud.....

I am currently in Iraq. I work around 12 hours per day, 7 days a week, every single day for about 7 months. However i make around 1000.00 more per month because of it.

Also you will learn that work comes first ALWAYS...if there is a mission to be accomplished you can and will work until it is done..24,36,48 hrs straight...whatever it takes, you will do it. The military will reward you though, we work hard and play harder so the time off is there. I have more time off in the military than i ever had at a civilian job.

I know i am not Air Force, but this should give you a rough idea. Send me a PM if you want and i can elaborate on some things, or check out www.aboutmilitary.com