View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 08:21 AM
RedGuy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Captain

Actually after talking to some people that work at the regionals, it turns out what I do isn't all that bad. Ever hear of a high speed? I won't lie to you being on call sucks, but it's far from unsafe.

I don't know where you work, but most of the on call pilots I know don't make 100K, and it wouldn't be dividing 100K up twice, it'd be more like dividing $50-60K up 4 or 5 times. So if you can live off of something like $12k so you can sleep at night, go right ahead, but personally I need to make more than that to live on, and demand more than that as a professional. Many of these on demand 135's aren't running with a huge profit margin, so increasing staff would come with a decrease in pay. Also many 135 on demand companies don't really pay a salary, so if you don't fly, you don't make any money.

This isn't anything new pilots have been flying on call for decades, and as long as there's manufacturing industry and people still need emergency medical flights pilots will be on call. Now there are jobs out there where you have a set 9-5 schedule, but generally those are flight instructing. BTW You can make about $50k flight instructing if your any good, so why not try that.

Oh, and you never did divulge what your interest in this is, did you get fired from an on demand operator?