View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 06:21 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Set Limits

Stick with it !!

Sticking with it works great in Disney movies but it doesn't always do so good in real life. Consider setting career limitations.

In my career I sat next to plenty of guys who said things like "how did I get here" and "now I am stuck". I studied the lives of every captain I flew with to learn exactly why they ended up where they did. Pilots love to ask senior UPS captains about their career progression. Perhaps it is a good idea to do the same with guys who's careers are a train wreck? Why did they end up falling short of their goals and end up doing something less than they had hoped?

One reason is that pilots tend to stick with it long after it becomes obvious that things will not work out for them as they had hoped. I think it is important to set professional goals and bench marks. If you are able to advance and stay on course then great. If not and fate deals you another hand then perhaps it is time to begin an exit strategy.

As we age it becomes more difficult to get to the next rung on the aviation ladder. Additionally it becomes more difficult to effect life changes as our lives become more established and the returns of moving up the ladder diminish since there are fewer years to enjoy the dream job as we get older.

Set benchmarks and deadlines. Have a functional plan "B" in place. The magic may strike but if it doesn't you will have a plan and will be able to start over while you are still young enough.

Skyhigh