View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 01:48 PM
dtfl
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Work

Originally Posted by sigtauenus View Post
Part of the problem is that they don't understand what air provides, and you can't use an asset appropriately if you don't know or understand what it does for you. They don't know what air provides because its not an organic asset.

From the Air Force perspective, it seems as though the JTAC on the ground is there to facilitate the pilot dropping the bomb and destroying the target. To the pilot, the target is just a target that needs serviced, and he most likely does not know or understand what objective the grunts are actually trying to achieve.

Its a different mindset.
THAT is a leadership problem IMO. We had a Army SF O6 CC on a contingency I was a MSN CC on. (AFSOC). He stood up after the Intel Brief and EXPLAINED to my crews the mission, the REASON, his intent and what the impact would be.

Every one of them told me that was the first time a CC actually EXPLAINED WHY they would be doing what they do...what the impact would be..and why they were hanging their asses out on the line. I made sure to pass that on to the O6.