View Single Post
Old 06-17-2006, 03:27 PM
ERJ135
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: CR7 Capt

Originally Posted by pilotdilemma
I am a 37, married (with a newborn), former flight instructor (UND grad) with 920TT/50 multi, and I am considering returning to a flying career after 3 years of no flying whatsoever (I did renew my instructor license online "just in case").

I originally left an instructing job a little over 3 years ago discouraged because the east coast flight school was very slow, the industry was bad at the time, my debt level was high, and I was literally going broke.

Despite all that since I left I have missed flying tremedously and have found the grass is not always greener outside the industry except for a select handful of professions (like medical). I am currently working as a web designer which pays OK but is extremely hard on the eyes.

My questions are geared mostly to active regional guys and instructors.

1) Supposing I got current and returned to flying, how do you think I would be received considering some large breaks from flying (I also had a break while in school after running low on funds)? Is it even realistic to attempt this with the hope of making it to the regionals in few years?

2) What is the industry like now for instructors? I would likely want to instruct in a college program with a steady flow of students.

Any specific advice anyone can offer would be very greatly appreciated.

1) It is definitly realistic. I think if you can explain the gap in time for not flying to an airline then I am sure they will understand. It is a fact that it does cost a lot of money to fly but, the fact that you kept going after taking a break could show an airline that your determined to make it. You seem to have had a legit reason to get out. Though I might leave out the part of being discouraged. It might be seen to an airline like if you get bored or upgrade is longer than expected then they might be afraid you'll get discouraged and quit.

2) I am very busy right now.