View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 03:58 PM
viktorbravo

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Capt: Lav Truck

Originally Posted by FliFast View Post
VB aka Cornholio,

So whats the answer...just bury our heads in the sand because "normal ops" have happened in the past ?

As a bottom feeder on the sen. list, I am worried about job security.

I guess, I'll just sit back and depend on management to save us...HAAAAhaHAhaha.

Back to sniffing glue, with my TP for bunghole.

FF
Realistically, theres not really much you can do about it. If the company wants to make some real strides toward better operating efficiency they need to look a little further that simply not starting the APU or taxiing on one engine. Yes, things have gotten better over the years wrt to decision making and wasteful ready, shoot, aim antics. The flight supervisors have been pointing out glaring wastefulness in the system for years, but it took a very long time for the powers that be to start making any changes at all. I'm sure the old timers remember the sweep flights

The good news for us is that the package business is very profitable and resilient, and will most likely continue to be that way. We may not see much growth in the near term but UPS is not bleeding cash by any stretch of the imagination. The musical chairs of realignment/displacements is nothing new either. In fact, I cant remember a long period of time where there was not some realignment/displacement in the works.

In my short tenure here I have never really seen a boom or bust cycle at UPS, its usually some small to moderate growth, followed by a period of stagnation with some musical chairs of shuffling seats around, then some more small to moderate growth, etc. Slow and steady.

Folks hired around 1990 probably saw the worst of the stagnation so far, as many of them were in the FE seat 4+ years during that time period.

One final thought is that since being publicly traded the down turns in UPS stock are fuel by not meeting analysts predictions. However at the same time of the falling stock price, the company remains very solid and strong. I really cant think of a much better place to hang you hat for a flying career. Flying rubber dog turds out of Hong Kong (and now China) has some obvious advantages for your career. Sure, UPS has its problems, all companies do, but when you take a look around UPS has done pretty well over the years.

Last edited by viktorbravo; 06-27-2008 at 04:16 PM.