Old 06-30-2008, 05:49 PM
ILS37R
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: To the right of Mickey

Originally Posted by bclark View Post
My husband is looking into flight school. We knew DCA was expensive but we had all but decided that is where he wanted to go. We then found a bunch of forums talking bad about DCA saying they were awful and way overpriced. All of those were postings from like 2005! I would like some up-to-date info on the school. We were looking at other options in FL too like ATP and Pheonix East and FSA... any suggestions on which is the best way to go?
As of December 2007, DCA is still way expensive, severely understaffed with CFIs and not the happiest place on Earth. According to the people I know who are still there, it's getting better, but it's still got a long way to go.

As to other options in Florida, ATP is what it is. Personally, I'd steer clear of Phoenix East as a lot of their business caters to foreigners at this point, so you may not get the attention you want as a domestic. I don't personally know a whole lot about FSA.

If you're intent on Florida, however, it may behoove you to look at some of the smaller, more FBO-style operations. A lot of them can get your husband where he wants to go just as quick (well, maybe not as quick as ATP, but that's not necessarily a bad thing) while offering a much better atmosphere. Go up on Airnav.com and just start seeing what companies are at airports in areas he'd like to live: ORL, SFB, TPA, DED, LEE, TIX, MLB, ISM, LAL, ZPH just for central Florida...