View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 11:59 PM
robthree
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: 777, sofa

No.
Your premise is faulty. Non union employees got hosed harder than union employees did. I was a CAL "baggage handler" on 9/11. The company unilaterally imposed a cut of about 12% on us. They were kind enough to ask if we wanted it as lower wages, or higher medical premiums, reduced vacation time, or some combination. But there was never any doubt they they were going to get every penny they wanted - because we had no choice. They made all the rules. If we didn't like it we could quit.

CAL pilots had to approve a change in their contract, and while they did approve concessions, by majority vote, they managed to include a provision requiring (large) payments to their pension fund. They got something in return for their deal.

And the FA's didn't sign off on their deal for almost a year after I got my paycut.

No a union is not an invitation for lower pay. That's why companies spend so much time and money fighting to keep unions off property. As far as I'm concerned the worst union imaginable is far preferable to no union whatsoever.