View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 01:16 AM
ComeFlyWithMe
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2007

I'm going to Embry next month. Get over THAT.

Never once did I hear anything from Embry about making lots of money after graduating. I had the opportunity to go there and see it for myself. I liked what I saw, checked my options financially, and made an informed decision.

What I like about it is that it is a 4-year university dedicated to aviation. It's not a university near an airport that has a flight program, nor is it an aviation certificate-mill.

I received some good scholarships, so I won't be paying the price of a house to attend there. Still, the cost is AT LEAST 15K per year. I plan on getting a part-time job, possibly NOT on campus. Working as a busboy I made over $9000 last year. I figure if I can up that by a few grand by applying as a waiter, I can cut my debt down to a reasonable amount.

I'll make it work. Next month, Prescott. If I decide it doesn't work for me, I can always transfer the following year.
Originally Posted by UnlimitedAkro
Become a doctor and buy your own airplane.
I prefer real planes. A little Cessna won't cut it for me (unfortunately, I have "the disease"). Doctors have it little better than pilots. Their profit margins are VERY slim. The education process is long and expensive, and residency isn't great pay-wise. Heck I'd venture to guess pilots and doctors take about the same time to make the money everyone thinks they make (10-15 years). Doctors have an easier time getting ahead but their road is no easy highway.

As for pilot pay, is it safe to say we've hit rock bottom? I mean there's no conceivable way starting pilots can make LESS than $18,000 a year. Pay may be stagnant for awhile but I can't see it getting any worse. Thoughts?