View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 06:22 AM
dtfl
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Work

Originally Posted by shane123 View Post
Not to get this thread off topic but can someone in the ANG or Reserves shed a little light on AGR and ART positions....?

All I know about these are that they are full time positions in a typical part time squadron, but are these spots readily available? Or are they once in a blue moon type of deal? Does it vary greatly from unit to unit?

Also....do full time spots typically go to senior guys, junior guys, or a mix?
Once you get an AGR or ART spot how long are you full time status?

Thanks alot everyone, I know its a bunch of questions but any feedback is appreciated.
As a new guy you might get an ART slot...if you complete SUPT, work in the unit on your seasoning tour, and bust your butt, they can get you a "baby ART" slot..which lasts for a year, I believe. Then you have to hope that can be converted into a permanent ART slot.

You NEVER walk into an ART position, unless you are a prior ART at another base and have re-employment rights, get RIFd, or your score is so much higher than others applying that you get the position. As a guy of the street, you will need to be in the unit for a couple years. Many units have revised the ART job descriptions to include full qualification in the AC they fly.

These days, you can make good $ working part time in the unit aka - bumming it - and then apply for the ART job. Now for a personal commentary - before you apply for the ART job - be prepared to be at the Sq for 10 hours a day, but only get 2 hours of work done. That is due to 1) constantly beating your head against a wall known as "the rest of the wing" and 2) after beating your head for a year you throttle back to do the minimum possible.
If you can do that -you can be an ART.

Not that some ARTs dont work their tails off. They do.....then they leave the ART program.