View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Purple Nugget
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: 757 CA
Default iPhone 3G & Corporate Discount

Yup, I'm a geek. Today I went and got the new iPhone 3G and here is the scoop with the corporate discount. (I am speaking of the FedEx discount located on the Life/Benefits section, but it is the same type of discount United, American, etc. has.)

-iPhone, version 1 was NOT eligible for any discounts.
-iPhone, 3G IS eligible for the discount (22% off)

Here is the catch, and it's a BIG one...

You cannot get this discount at the Apple store! You must do it at an AT&T store. Also, my local AT&T guy said that he thought he read something about BOTH the voice & data plan will get the discount; however, he said that his only commitment at this point was that the voice plan was discounted for sure, but the data plan might be as well.

To get the discount, here is what you need and need 2 do...
-Print out your company's "Foundation Account Number" (FAN#)
FedEx guys, it's behind the firewall at:
http://hronline.corp.fedex.com/benef...life/att.shtml

-Bring a copy of your company ID

-Go to the AT&T store to buy your new iPhone and give them that number.
THAT'S IT!!

That being said, here was my ordeal today for reference...
-I went to my local AT&T store this morning, but they were sold out of the iPhone. I gave the guy my FAN number and inquired about the discount, and he put it in my account, and said, "the discount is in the computer." I then said I was going to the Apple store in town.

-I went to the Apple store - long line, but fun time. The Apple folks kept passing by saying that if your company pays for part of your phone, Apple cannot activate or sell you one. (Didn't say anything about the good-ole AT&T discount.)

-So I make it into the store, and as the lady was activating the phone, AT&T's computer wouldn't let her, and she had to call AT&T whose operator I spoke with said that only an "Enterprise Version" plan could be activated by Apple with a discount.

-I said, ok then take the discount away (I'm not paying $45/month for that.) I got the phone activated and out the door I went.

-I then stopped by my AT&T store on the way home, and they quickly re-applied my FAN discount to my account with no problems. Only downside is that they said that since it was put on AFTER a new activation, it may take 2-3 billing cycles for the discount to appear, but it is retroactive once it is applied.

Good Luck!