View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Rogue
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2008

The thing about helicopters is that most insurance companies don't give a rat's patooey about your fixed wing time only your helicopter time, at least that is how I understand it after over a year's worth of research in becoming a rotary wing pilot. So while the add-ons may only be less hours the hours are two ( and now with gas probably three ) times more expensive then fixed wing hours and you can't instruct in helicopters until you have at least 200 and you'll need 300 to teach in R22's and also a factory Robinson training course that all Robbie flyers go to ( sorry the details are a little fuzzy right now off the top of my head ) There is rumor however that some flight schools can get you on their insurance with less hours ( because of fixed wing time ) but I wouldn't bank on maybes. Last you are going to have to have 2000 hours minimum time to work EMS, and most EMS ( keyword most not all ) want you to have significant amounts of night time, instrument time and turbine time. So that's a good start - try here for more - Verticalreference Home