View Single Post
Old 06-24-2006, 08:34 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Bad Choice ??

Originally Posted by Brav989
Well, is it really that bad to stay with a regional for a career? Sure the pay will never be as great, you will always fly smaller aircraft and it won't be too glamourous. But is it really that bad of a choice?

I was at a graduation party at CWU recently and several new grads in construction management and accounting already had starting positions that payed 50 to 70K per year. By comparison a regional career isn't so good. It might take you ten years to break 50K per year from graduation day and pilots have the extra burden of paying for flight training. In addition, we all have witnessed that the airlines have been sliding steadily down hill and it will never go back to the way is was. I am sure there is a bottom somewhere but I wouldn't want to start an aviation career to find out.

Flying might be fun but it is no fun to be poor, overworked and lonely while your college peers in other professions are buying houses, taking vacations and building families. A lot of things in life are fun. I like XBox, but it doesnt mean I should try to make a living at it. I would consider what your other options are and perhaps pursue aviation as a hobby.

SkyHigh