Thread: Crew Pass
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 07:39 PM
CFDoubleeye
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2007

ALPA is seeking emails on CrewPass improvements.... please email them at [email protected]. Here is my letter.

Main point: TSA is using uniforms as a form of ID, and pilots need to stand up and mandate back to them a big NO!

Letter:

ALPA representatives, I thank you for the efforts to implement the CrewPass program!

I do have three items for feedback on the CrewPass program:

1)
Uniforms:

I find the mandate to be in uniform to be an unacceptable part of this program. Airline Pilot uniforms are a) not uniform across the industry, b) available to the public, and c) inconvenient - if not a security risk during deadheads and/or commuting to/form work.

On item C... I would like to expand:
Travel in/out of uniform should be left to the Pilot's choice

a) Hijack threat: In the event of a hijacking attempt, uniformed crew will be the first to be targeted by a team or individual attempting to overcome the post 9-11 countermeasures. We should be encouraged to travel out of uniform, and TSA should not have the authority to judge if we are in a proper uniform or not. Uniforms may be used in an attempt to gain the trust of a flight crew to otherwise gain access to the flight deck ie impersonating a crew member.
b) Fatigue: Deadheading in Uniform and commuting.... how many times have we been asked questions, or involved in lengthy conversations because of the uniform we wear duing deadhead/commute travel? Authorizing travel out of uniform (as a choice) allows crew members to rest more effectively.
c) FFDO's use an alternate screening method that does not require a Pilot to be in uniform, nor does it identify their official role/purpose for using alternate screening.

2)
Identification:
CrewPass uses the CASS system and the Airline ID for identification and status.... that is perfect. However, as I discussed above in 1(C) - the uniform should not constitute a form of identification to TSA screeners as it provides no assurance of Identity, nor does it act as a alternate means to identify a commuting pilot or deadhead flight crew.

3)
Flight Attendant Union Opposition
This week I saw a formal complaint by a Flight Attendant Union to allowing pilots to "Bypass" security and potentially carry weapons on board aircraft. I would encourage ALPA to reach out to these unions and/or get ahead of this opinion. FA's could potentially eliminate this program, vs being included in the program and also allowed to use "alternate" screening within the CrewPass/CASS program.

Recommendations:
I would recommend that ALPA:
  • Make a strong move to ban the use of Airline Pilot uniforms as a means of identification....and mandate to TSA that travel in uniform be left to the discretion of each individual.
  • Implement an industry wide standard Airline Pilot Identification Card - such as change the color of the FAA Pilot's License from Blue to Red (or other color) to indicate Airline Pilot status and SIDA Access. Such ID would be required to be returned once out of active employment with a recognized airline, or be issued as a separate certificate. Most important, it should signal that such person has been properly briefed on SIDA access eliminating individual airport badges for transient crews (and the TSA hassles that exist industry wide because the flight crew is not from THAT airport).
I would be happy to further discuss these issues, and invite you to contact me at any time. Just a few ideas.....

Thanks for your attention to what I see as critical flaws with the current CrewPass program.

ExpressJet First Officer

Last edited by CFDoubleeye; 07-18-2008 at 07:12 AM.