View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 03:46 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

[quote=III Corps;429174]Just remember the old axiom. never fly the A model of any airplane

Whoops - blew that one. Flew the A through D model - though my first A model were still Lot 9s - GREAT airplanes and probably the best lot for BFM (at least until the Lot 16-18).

The second axiom is the C model eventually becomes what the A was supposed to be but heavier and more costly. True

And when you read the lit on the -35, you see that it says something about VTOL with 'light loads' meaning it will not carry a full bag of ord when operating from FOLs.
And how often did the Harriers work forward (meaning not from prepared airfields?) I'm not a huge believer in the VSTOL version - I think we should go with the Carrier version personally.

Now they are getting rid of the EA-6s with the Growlers and that too reportedly does not have the capability of the Prowler. And don't even start with the tanker chocies.
I've not been around the EW community much, but I have seen some of the Growler's lit and talked to a few of the pilots whom have come through Lemoore for initial training and I haven't heard anything along the lines of the Growler not having the capabilities of the Prowler - and knocking down that crew from 4 to 2. Instead of listening to one side of the stroy or the other - I'll wait to hear from some prior Prowler guys who have moved over to the Growler.

USMCFLYR