Thread: JAA conversion
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 09:23 AM
olympic
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: 747

Originally Posted by captjns View Post
Negative. There are a few F/Os who were current qualfied on glass cockpit type 737s. With this in mind, they trained under the Ryanair OCC program, which is a reduced training program approved by the IAA.

The market is not going to be destroyed because airmen are willing to pay for training, but a flood of unemployed pilots who earlied out and willing to work for substandard wages even overseas. Pay for DECs in India and China have declined by as much as 30 percent over the past two years.
This is where we disagree, I believe that paying for a TYPE RATING is ridiculous. Europe is in a crisis, where people don't have enough money to buy food because of the high prices. Going out and getting a TYPE RATING because you think this will give you an edge is a fairy tale. There are plenty of airlines out there that will pay for your training. PAYING to get a job is a sales pitch that will probably put you in debt before you even start working in the company.

I see your point about the unemployed pilots who are willing to work for substandard wages, this is a given. But when these unemployed pilots go to an interview and are told, you need to pay for TYPE RATING what do you think they will do? They probably can't afford that so they go to the second best thing, flying for **** money to make a decent living. Personally I would never pay for a Type Rating, knowing that there are PLENTY of airlines out there that will give you the Type Rating for free and will pay you a descent amount of money.