View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 07:47 PM
E1Out
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: DAL-S, B

I was going to respond to your post with my own simulator advice, but from reading the previous posters' comments, I think they've covered just about everything! (AND, I also learned a thing or two about the Sim - thanks guys!!!)

But I do really want to respond to this:

Originally Posted by bryris View Post
I assume you are referring to my post about getting out. I assure you it has nothing to do with this check ride. Ever since I first started this job, I've been on the fence about it. I love the job, but don't like the lifestyle associated with it.
Please do yourself a favor, and at least stick it out for the next 4 months and allow yourself to get furloughed - and have the option of coming back with your seniority number intact - instead of quitting outright.

I know right now you're feeling like you've seen the ugly side of this industry, and you can't imagine volunteering for this amount of BS again. Believe me, I get that... I'm on my 3rd airline in 8 years, I've spent the better part of my career on reserve and 1st year pay, and I'm currently staring down the barrel of a possible 2nd furlough... The chaos, uncertainty, and constantly-on-the-road lifestyle is enough to make anyone clinically insane...

But please consider two things from someone who has been exactly where you are at:

1) As unfathomable as it may seem right now, you may be surprised by how much you eventually miss this job, after a year off from it. Going back to a 9 to 5 job, and seeing the same 4 office walls every day can get surprisingly claustrophobic after having been in this industry...

2) With seniority and time, IT DOES GET BETTER. This industry will always be plagued with issues... But if it's the lifestyle you're worried about - consider this: I just got on with a major in March, and I'm already holding 19 days off a month, and all day trips - I'm home every night.

I acknowledge that you may never look back on this job with the longing that myself and some of my peers did after a year into our furlough... But please consider that you just might, and leave your option open to come back in the event you do... If you quit, you'll become relatively uncurrent and unqualified for the airlines once they do start hiring again, and you'll have an extremely difficult time getting back into the industry. Your recall rights with a furlough will be your ticket back to this career, in the event you want to cash that in......

It's just 4 months... Please give it some thought.

Best wishes.