Old 07-23-2008, 03:49 PM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Please tell us.

Originally Posted by de727ups View Post
I would submit there are many jobs in aviation that pay as well as being a police officer, have less stress, and more time off. In aviation, a four year degree is only needed for the top end of the career. You could get into the biz with no more than a CFI and work your way up to a job that equals being a cop in pay, benes, and QOL. Cops sometimes work graveyard, ya know. Can't really make the "home every night" argument with that.

That said, if you one of those in aviation who have been furloughed and need to put food on the table, or just want out of the biz, I could see LEO as a viable alternative.

We've had several LEO's at APC looking to get into flying. Would be nice if one of them would chime in.
I sure would like to know what flying jobs can offer a similar situation as being a police officer. One of the best things that being a police officer has going for them is a sound government retirement plan. In addition they have great benefits.

I don't know of any flying jobs other than at a traditional legacy that has anything similar. I to have know plenty of LEO who have become pilots. Usually after they have a nice retirement check coming in from their police career.

Skyhigh