View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 06:10 AM
hvydriver
Retired Doug herder

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: Former DC8 73 Capt DHLAirways/Astar. Retired

Originally Posted by ⌐ AV8OR WANNABE View Post
Wouldn't it have been easier to put it under the
thread I already started earlier with the same quote? (UPS/DHL)

Well, at least Flybycable posts a link to the story you’re quoting…

http://www.scdigest.com/assets/newsviews/08-07-07-1.pdf

I’ve said it before and will say it again – this deal is very bad news for UPS pilots. My friends who work for DHL in Germany tell me that if we think UPS likes to be in control we ain’t seen nothing yet.

I think that once UPS and DHL management teams get used to dealing with each other on a daily basis they’ll try to expand this deal by inviting a third airline into the mix. Then we’ll be doing all DHL flying in the US, DHL will do our flying in Europe and the third airline will be doing all the flying for the two of us in Asia.

Control is one thing, making even more money is an even bigger thing.

I sincerely hope I’m wrong but…
Well, I agree with you. But it looks like history is going to repeat itself eventually. When Astar was DHL, and ABX was ABF, none of us thought we could get kicked to the curb like we have. It can happen, even to the biggest. It isn't hard for corporations to do, as we've seen here. We didn't see it coming till it was too late. It would be great if the crews at UPS could stop the outsourcing trend, as they're the only ones big enough to do it. Though it would appear the majority thinks this could never happen to them. Maybe they're right, but I sure wouldn't want to take that chance.