Old 07-26-2008, 12:05 PM
spitfire1500
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005

Originally Posted by OdeToMemory View Post
I absolutely love flying and I would love to do it for a career. I love the idea of working long hours and then having long times off. I'm just not sure that I should seriously follow this career, though. With oil sky-rocketing and airlines reporting huge losses (well, except for Southwest), I'm just not sure if I could find myself a job in the airlines after my service as an instructor. Would you recommend going into the field, or should I steer clear, taking job security over interest? I can't really think of anything I'd rather do, except for maybe becoming a sports writer.

What do you think? If I do go after aviation, I'll probably go to an FBO in Knoxville (where I'll probably go for college), and get my PPL/Instrument/ME/CFI/CFII/MEI/ATP there while getting my degree. If I don't, I'll probably just major in journalism and pursue that career path.

Long times off....where did you get that idea!!!! Major in journalism and learn to fly. An aviation degree is worthless but a journalism degree will allow you to tick the degree box on an airline app.