Thread: Quitting

cgdaddy1 , 07-27-2008 11:06 AM
On Reserve
cgdaddy1
On Reserve
close
  • Joined APC
    Jul 2008
Uh, no. Did you know how your career would be 5 years ago? Fifteen years ago? Could you predict what 9-11 would do to the pilot's career and lifestyle? I was out of college and flying was fun. Took my shot, did it, it's not right for me anymore.

Funny you say 'marry.' Thing is, I 'married' my wife and kids and they will always be more important to me than the career. I know what you're saying and what you're getting at, it's just a play on words I've actually thought about before.

You are a captain with probably the best pilot's airline there is. I am happy for you. You are in charge and no doubt earn a fine living with a lot of days off. You're living the life I hoped to achieve.

I consider myself in the mid-range. Many guys are stuck at regionals, etc. I was laid off 4 times before this job but still I've not been unemployed for 10 years, I'm lucky. Many guys have and are getting laid off. Some pilot's hit the home run (you, Southwest, etc.) Some do OK like me, some never have a bit of luck their whole career. That's simply life.

I am not bitter, I am profoundly happy for those who hit it well. For me, this is how my life played out. In every aspect of life some do better, similar and worse. It's just life. I'm actually excited to do something new, it's refreshing.

And yes, even left seat I'd still walk away. Tougher decision? Somewhat. But my kids could care less if I'm a captain or FO, they want me at home and at their events mean more to me than flying. I'd walk no matter. Besides for the 20-30% extra money (reserve captain pay) my lifestlye would drop dramatically with a worse schedule so no, not worth it.

Everything in life is a give and take, rarely a perfect answer. In this case, this new direction is better for me. I'll miss part of aviation (the give) but love parts I don't have to endure anymore (the take.) God makes us all different that's why I don't judge anyone for their decision either way.