View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 01:57 PM
B767flyr

FOTGTD,

Apparently I know as much about the RN profession as you do about what my dad sounds like or what my childhood aspirations were. Dialyses still sounds pretty dreadful, I'm glad there are folks that aspire to be medical professionals. It wouldn't be my bag either.

As far as the quality of an RJ job, it is fine as a temporary stop on the way to something better, but no way is it acceptable for a career just because you can make ends meet on the salary today. Just my opinion. You indicate you know the risk of this industry but want a shot at it anyway. Ok that's fine. I'm not risk averse, but I'm a realist too. And reality was all I was trying to provide the young pilot. This industry is a minefield right now, hence my advice, and my pursuit of a second career in aerospace (not flying). Time to hedge my bet at the craps table. As long as you're ready to have your career implode at the most inopportune season of your life (sick parent, kid in college, pregnant wife), strap on your helmet and goggles and go for it. Maybe it won't happen to you, but it happened to a lot of guys I know and it's very sad.

It ain't what you spend, it's what you spend and make, otherwise you wouldn't bother with a cash positive income property. Don't poo poo the revenue side regardless how well you're stretching that RJ salary. A lot of young people couldn't afford a house (outside a slum) on $10K down and a bartender salary because of cost of living. That's very noble, sort of, to be above the cash flow, but you may get over it one day if you have kids and they want to eat, outgrow clothes, drive a car and go to college. Maybe your wife might want to take a vacation beyond the non-rev world. You're right on about paying yourself first and everyone should be as financially disciplined as you. And yes, someone making twice your salary can spend themselves into the poor house. As for me, if I want to be able to buy my wife a nice dinner or a modest piece of jewelry, or myself a new hunting rifle or electronic gadget, repair a blown transmission--I don't want to worry whether it's "in the budget". Right now I don't have to. Furthermore, let me make a distinction. I do like my job very much, not my career. If I retire flying airplanes at a wage well into six figures and a good retirement, I'll be surprised and thrilled. I'm not betting on it, hence the hedge with the second career.

If you decide to move up, your resume will get you in the door (unless your well connected), then attitude and game-show host personality take over. A resume doesn't do personality justice. I've done a few interviews the last 18 years of my career.

A buddy from high school wanted to be a professional musician in the worst way, and had some success, then less, and finally had to hang it up and get a more steady job to support his family. He gave it a shot and had no regrets, but had no illusions about his chances of earning a living playing music (not teaching) for an audience. That's all I'm saying about the new kids in the biz--take a shot of reality with your glass of Kool-Aid. You seem to have a good handle on the risks (sans Jerry Lewis grin) of the career. Don't sell yourself short. You have a needed skill and making money with it isn't a bad thing. You're worth more than you give yourself credit for.