Thread: Hiring rumors?
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 06:29 AM
Roberto
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: 757/767

Originally Posted by Goulet69 View Post
Just curious if anyone at UPS has heard anything from the powers that be about possible hiring in the near future (i.e. fall/winter 2008 or early 2009). Any information would be great.
As of yesterday, Manpower Planning has no information on the presumed DHL contract, which could be a catalyst for hiring. If there is hiring, it will be into the FE seat, and the current training classes are scheduled as follows.

There are 9 FE’s in simulator training at this time. There are 12 more presently in ground school, and 12 more start ground school on 14 August. (The normal class size has been 8 per month.) There are no FE classes scheduled in September, October, November, and December. Next year there are four classes of eight (8) each beginning 8 January, 12 February, 26 March, and 30 April.

The DC8 FE position is critical to the timing of any future vacancy bid due to the likelihood that many of the future vacancies, both for CPT and lower-48 FO's, would be awarded to senior FE’s. Alaska FO vacancies would be filled by the junior FE's. I think if there is a vacancy bid, the timing of the bid will be dependent upon the progress of DC8 FE training. UPS cannot let too many FE’s leave the seat before sufficient replacements are trained. Under some circumstances, it may be necessary to train new-hire FE’s in the fall to take up the loss should there be a vacancy bid (as a result of DHL) before the 2009 FE’s are trained.

If we do not have a vacancy bid until late next year (for the 747 and 767 scheduled deliveries), we will have an abundance of FE’s. If we do not sign the DHL deal, we will probably have an abundance of DC8 CPT’s and FO’s also.

These are just my opinions based upon presently available information. Other information and opinions welcome