View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 06:45 AM
HoboPilot
Asphalt Cowboy

Joined APC: Dec 2006
Position: Shotty!!

Looking back on everything, I definitely wish I had been more proactive in dealing with the student's sense of invulnerability. I would have been more than willing to go in depth with him about all the elements of X-country planning he seemed to be deficient at, primarily his judgment if I had more time or was just teaching him.

Unfortunately I only had two hours with him and the other student and since he wasn't very receptive to critique, I decided to focus more of my attention on the other student who needed more help.

I'm glad I got the experience teaching a less than ideal student, however. It's really made me think a lot more about how to approach teaching more so than the good students I've taught in my ground school before this.

I'll definitely be more proactive in the future, especially when it's an issue that could have some serious consequences.

For the sake of discussion, what if the student were to still be resistant to critique? What if he were to continue to insist on this type of relaxed approach to flight planning? Would that be grounds for not endorsing the student for a X-country? Obviously the details of each situation will vary and will affect the answer, I'm just looking for a general discussion on the topic.