View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 05:02 PM
MikeM

Default Med School to Flight School

Originally Posted by B767flyr
Go to medical school, then buy a cool airplane.
Ok, I could not help but post on this interesting thread. I dropped out of medical school 3 weeks ago because I became very ill and could not adjust to the air pollution in Mexico. I am back in California and recovering. I was in Mexico because I got rejected from all the medical schools in the USA, simply since I did not have my bachelor's degree yet. Wanting to become an airline pilot was one of my career choices when growing up (lol, I'm still 21). So I re-entertained the idea of becoming a pilot and called numerous flight schools. Wow, a pilot's education can cost just as much as getting an MD as with all the loan situations for getting that money. Based on reading this entire thread and talking with some of my pilot friends who are making their ways through the airlines, I will return to college and get my degree if I cannot get into another med school by Fall 2006. I felt helpless knowing that I was out of med school (my dream!) so that's why I considered scrapping med school and going to flight school this past few weeks. I'm really not into the money earning issue pertaining to both being a doctor or pilot, but what is very very important to me is job progression (intern > Resident > attending > professor and so on). I am slowly figuring out that the job progression as an [airline] pilot (cessna > multieng> ...SAAB > 737 >.....747) can be very slow and the harsh reality may be that even if I pursue a career as a pilot, I may never even get to sit in the left seat of a 747 cockpit enroute to Tokyo. Anyways, I guess I'll just have to be content with Microsoft Flight Simulator. Good day.

Last edited by MikeM; 09-27-2005 at 05:06 PM.