Old 08-02-2008, 02:54 PM
CFDoubleeye
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2007

While I agree.... the following is the sad truth of life in the airlines. I love the job! I hate the management.

Management Case:

The argument being used is that the pilots have statistically covered X number of hours on a consistent basis by picking up extra trips on their days off. Now, under threat of furloughs the pilots have made an apparent pact to not pick up these open trips in an effort to force management to keep extra staff onboard. The statistics "dont lie" - and these whiny pilots are misbehaving.

For every 60 to 75 hours of flight time (per month) that is picked up - one less pilot is needed. Pilots are only limited to flight hours by the (negotiable) contract, and FAA maximum hours per 24 hours (8), 7 days (30), monthly (100), and yearly (1000)... or 16 hour duty days (FAA max). Point being - contracts are negotiable, the FAA is governing.

Pilot Case:
Days off are contractually guaranteed, and the only exception would be some loopholes in rescheduling of flights, cancellations, and reverse seniority "jr manning" of a day off. You can't make me fly "overtime".

Historically, the courts have ruled in favor of the airlines (who have more financial ability to defend thier stance). Any attempt by pilots to fight proposed changes in policy is seen by the courts as an "illegal work action" to include: requesting extra fuel, burning excess gas, use of sick time, delays, and even recently STRIKES.