Old 08-04-2008, 02:44 PM
ginder34
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Thumbs down Minnesota Hawker Crash...the Facts so far

I had the opportunity to spend 3 hours at the site with the NTSB as well as the accident invesigator aasigned by the IC.

I will leave the speculation about micro-burst and meso-scale events to the weather experts and relate what I observed. I have no time in this model and will pose specific questions that I hope you can help with.

1) according to an eye witness, the plane touched down in the 1st 3rd of the 5500 ft runway. He cancelled IFR, but we do not know if he was flying the needles, the PAPI or trying to hit the 1st brick.

2) the runway was soaked to the point where the witness observed "major splash" from the tires.

3) at some unknown point, the PIC initiated a go -around attempt

4) the plane crossed the end threshold and began to traverse a 1000 foot wide grass over run that would have been suitable for a Maul. Main and nose wheel tracks were observed to the localizer array. The nose wheel seemed to lift and settle at least once.

5) the right wing impacted the localizer array at about 8ft agl.

6) The ground then drops away and the right wing enters the corn 150 to 200 yards on the other side of a culvert and tumbles

My questions are these:

The fans were 19 years old...how long to spool up from idle to T/O power ?

Flaps are at 85+ degrees for landing. If The PIC calls for flaps at 15...how long does it take before the wing is getting lift and not drag ?

Based on 1/2 full tanks and 8 people and assuming a hydroplane event with full ABS engagement, how far does this bird roll with little or no braking and engines at idle? In other words would a rollout into a 1000 foot soft mud field been survivable or would the inertia have taken them into the culvert ?