View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 02:12 PM
Typhoonpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: tri current

Originally Posted by Dune
Disagree.

While you have not been here long enough to experience the need to change accom (yet), there will be a time in the near future when your current accom comes up for renewal. When the accom department refuses to pay beyond the current limit (120,000 dhs), you'll be asked to:

a) pay for the extra out of your own pocket to stay where you are, or
b) move to cheaper accom that will be chosen for you.

Should you decide not to uproot the family and stay in your current home you'll feel the direct impact of the cost of rents in Dubai on your bottom line. It's coming.
I disagree with your disagreement

I just moved ( my choice ) 7 months ago. I moved into a brand new villa that is on at least a 5 year lease. A government villa that will not be subject to stunning rent hikes like the private ones are. The majority of new joiners for the next year or so will go to Silicon Oasis, which is on a 15 year lease.

Perhaps in 4.4 years I'll be asked to move, but I doubt it. Rents have most likely reached their peak for the next five years. House prices are in the same boat. If I'm asked to move in 4.4 years I might just end up buying a place, which is another option. If prices plummet over the next few years I may do that anyway.

You guys keep with all the negativity in order to scare people away from joining. I've worked for 6 airlines and can say without a doubt that EK is a good airline to work for and the compensation package is reasonable. Could it be better? Absolutely it could, but compared to what else is available EK is very competitive and it provides a good life for me and my family.

TP