View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 06:06 PM
EK Birdcage
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Captain 767

The commute is a no brainer and no problem since you have a choice of a business class ticket arranged and paid by the company; $2,000 or ZED tickets every month.. Some guys still use ZEDs and pocket all of the 2k, but I think most are either buying a ticket or using business class company tickets. I personally buy a coach ticket ( costs less then 2k) and then use miles to upgrade.. Works great.. I commute to the SE, so I am able to fly non-stop if I buy the ticket, rather then using Star Alliance through ORD or IAD which is how the company will send me..

You get a W2 if you work for an American contract company. You dont if you work for a off shore company. You are on a shore pass while in Japan, so neither you or ANA pay Japan taxes.

We typically have too much time off, and thus spend too much time in the USA to qualify as a Expat.. So you pay taxes like anyone else if you live in the states.

In the past, the company has not sponsered visas. I have heard there is one guy that is a trial case, but dont know the details. Many of our guys have apartments, and get through a broker.. Pretty easy I understand. I don't really see the need with AJV since we are not here (Japan) that much, but many guys do it..

Cheers,

BC

Last edited by EK Birdcage; 08-05-2008 at 08:18 PM.