Thread: Mesa TA...
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 01:26 PM
kersplatt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

I agree, the purpose of this forum it to help other pilots, to keep us all informed, and united. I have made statements warning other people of the downside of Mesa but I have never discouraged or badmouthed a person for wanting to work there. For some pilots, it makes sense because they live at one of the bases. Why spend 4-7 days a months commuting when you could live where you are based. We can't possibly know all the reasons why someone is there. Not to mention there are many other regionals that have similar pay and work rules but don't get the same stigma.

The best pilot I have ever flown with was at Mesa and now Alaska. I agree that they have a reputation of hiring low time pilots but they also hire high quality experienced pilots that want the Dash (or a few years ago the 1900) and get the fast upgrade and PIC time. Everyone has a different goal and to hope that another pilot doesn't get a better contract that they deserve is wrong.

Many forget that a lot of pilots were furloughed at 9/11 and it was years before Horizon and Express Jet called their pilots back. A lot of experienced pilots went to Mesa because the jobs were scarce. Similar to what it is now. Not everyone can live off of unemployment or call their parents for money.