View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 10:10 PM
the King
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: JS32 FO

Originally Posted by ny311 View Post
This flight instructor once said to me "I've been doing this longer than you, I know what I'm talking about" . that sounded cocky to me.. not sure what you guys think
I can see how you would think that. Probably, no definitely, not the way to say it. However, the context of the statement would be important. It's difficult, but instructors and students need to remember they are dealing with living humans. Often, students treated me as if I should work exactly how they wanted without giving any imput. When I ask for questions, I mean it! Speak up and communicate with your instructor about everything: what you like, what you would like to do differently, what might help you, and how you think you're doing.

Instructors also need to remember what it is like to be a student. And remember that students have no experience with the life of a CFI. We have to be diligent in explaining why we will or won't do something or why we make a choice. Since we were once students, it's our responsibility to respond appropriately, knowing the difference between impertinent or rude behaviors or comments and curiosity from a new student. It takes a fine balance, but the best learn how to walk the tightrope between being a pushover and a tyrant.