Thread: Thanks but no thanks from pilot selection board...now what?

crewdawg , 08-07-2008 09:34 PM
Super Moderator
crewdawg
Super Moderator
close
  • Joined APC
    Jul 2006
First off what is your vision exactly? 20/70 is what you can have WITHOUT a waiver. They go up to 20/200 or -3.00 refractive error with a waiver. If your eyes are within this I wouldn't get the eye surgery.

I know that PRK is waiverable as a classmate of mine has had it done. I am pretty sure that Lasik is as well but can't confirm that. If you do decided to get the surgery, be sure to talk to an AF flight doc first. There is alot of paperwork involved, might as well start off on the right foot.

Ortho-K is not allowed. You must not wear hard contacts 90 days prior to your final physical down at Brooks. I have heard of dudes doing it and getting by but the corneal topography tends to catch people. Don't try to cheat the system (that much ).

I would not chance enlisting on the hope of helping you get a waiver, or even a pilot slot for that matter. Unless you are willing to serve 6 years as an enlisted dude. Which is not bad, I was enlisted for 6 years and it was the best thing that could have happened to me.

As far as being turned down, keep on firing off those apps. I know a guard guy that interviewed 28 times before he finally got a slot. Who knows how many apps. he sent out. Also, know another dude that got picked up after his sixth interview with the same unit. If you really want to fly for the military, send out those apps everywhere your willing to go.

Goodluck