Old 08-08-2008, 09:16 AM
srleslie
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2007

Originally Posted by DSflyer05 View Post
The hawker landing flap setting if flap 45 degrees, upon landing the capt. goes into "lift dump" this causes the airbrakes to fan out to 85 degrees and the flaps to 75 degrees. Their is a high speed motor which causes it to happen very fast. At this point their is a lot of drag on the airplane. 5500 foot runways are a common occurance in hawkers, however on the 800 their is no published wet runway data. The antiskid system works very good on the airplane. Once liftdump is selected is would be difficult to do a rejected landing, especially if it wasn't briefed prior. The capt and fo would both have to be aware what was going on in order to sucussfully complete the task. even if they did brief it I still don't think it is do able on a 5500ft. field. They would have gotten a config warning horn since the airbrakes were extended and PLA was above mid range. But i'm sure they wouldn't have the reaction time to undo their actions with not much runway left.

DSF
So at what point is this lift dump activated? What if they are on short final and need to do a go around? What if they are just touching down on the runway and encounter a major crosswind? I'm no pilot, yet, but this system sounds like an accident waiting to happen.