View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008, 06:19 PM
ILS37R
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: To the right of Mickey

I ride a bike to the airport several days of the week and, in addition to being a decent work-out, I find it quite relaxing on the way back.

Cub hit most of the big points; so here's a mere half-pence from me:

1. Figure out where you're going to park/lock your bike at school. A lot of airports are stunningly bicycle unfriendly, so scout it out first. If there isn't a rack anywhere, inquire with your school about parking your bike on the secure area of the ramp. Maybe they'll go for it, maybe they won't, but U-locked to the inside of that fence is far safer than to the outside.

2. Don't forget your personal hygiene kit; your instructor will thank you.

3. Figure out your route ahead of time and drive it in your car on several occasions at different times of day before making your assessment if it's doable. Beware of seemingly docile two-lane roads with cars parked on both sides. Hitting car doors and being thrown into traffic sucks.

4. I like clipless pedals, but please, please get used to them (especially getting in and out) putzing around your neighborhood before you hit a major street.

There are some nice cross/hybrid bikes out there now if you don't want to go full-on road. Unless you want to go carbon crazy, they top out around $1200, though an entirely decent bike can be found new between $400-500. I ride a Jamis Coda Elite--the Jamis Coda and Allegra lines are great--but I'm also thinking of Trek FX and Soho lines, Giant FCRs, Specialized Sirrus and Cannondale Road Warrior and Bad Boy lines.

Last edited by ILS37R; 08-09-2008 at 06:35 PM.