VHR-very happily retired
maxjet
VHR-very happily retired
close
  • Joined APC
    Aug 2007
  • Position
    Retired
Quote: I agree with most of what you are saying except CRJ900 and E175s do not have same engines. CRJ900 NWA ordered for us is an enhanced NextGen version that has 19,450 lbs thrust per side where as E175 only has about 14,500 lbs thrust per side and E175 is heavier and has more drag because it is wider and has engines mounted under the wings. CRJ900 can outclimb and is definitely faster, but is only about 15% more fuwel efficient, I believe. 30% seems little too high.

Not sure about E175s having a higher payload. CRJ900 I think the payload for both is very close. CRJ900 is just as comfortable as E175s. E175s in the cabin is only about 4 inches wider. I have sat in both as a passenger recently and I couldn't tell the difference. Word has it from the training department that we will be flying to Florida as well.
You need to do more research. Your numbers are way off. I cannot speak to the fuel burn percentage ( I have flown both aircraft and the 900 uses less fuel) The 900 can climb better, is faster, and can fly much higher. That said, with the 175's on longer routes that would seem to be a moot point as the fuel efficiency increases on the longer legs for the 175. In other words if you do 5, 45 minute flights in a 900 vs a 3:45 flight in the 175, the 175 will win in fuel burn. Of course then there are issues of RASM and CASM. NWA seems to be deploying both aircraft on routes that are best for its type. As far as passenger comfort, if you think that it is the same then you must be 4'2 120 lbs and carry a Wallmart shopping bag as carry on luggage. There just is NO way the interior is even close to the same comfort level. I have had many passengers, with whom I agree with, state that it is by far the most comfortable coach class seat they have ever been in. BTW, under the new agreement there are already too many 76 seat aircraft. Somebody will have to go. Unfortunately, for Mesa they appear to have lost the flying. Comair may pick up the aircraft but I don't think that the additional 8 scheduled for delivery will happen. I think that Pinnacle will not get their full delivery complement either. There will be no new aircraft unless you can do business with another airline which at this time does not seem likely.
Ps I am senior but not a check airman at this time. Does that mean that everything I write will come true? What the heck is a "senior" check airman anyway? Does that mean you are on the page of shame?