View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 02:56 AM
stobelma
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: FO

Originally Posted by ExperimentalAB View Post
Stobelma...come on man, we all agree it to be a bonehead move to not take a job when offered.

But you cannot argue that a 300 whizkid will be as valuable in the cockpit as a more experienced Pilot, regardless of where that experience came from.

But the fact is the experience DOES matter where you came from. How about this to look at it a different way. You have two captains. One was hired with 1200 hours and upgraded at 1500 TT to captain. The other got hired with 300 hours and upgraded at 1500 TT as well. You cannot tell me you would rather fly with captain number one. Captain number 2 has 4 times the amount of experience in the airplane with is way more valuable than captain number 1 having 1200 hours in a 172. I have flown with both and I will take the guy flying more 121 over the cessna driver any day.

I have also flown with captains who will take a good low hour FO over a high hour FO new hire any day. The low time guys learn much quicker the ways of flying for an airline the the high time new hires. The guys who had the most trouble in our ground school were the guys who had instructed forever. The low time guys and gays had much higher test schools and NONE of them failed the PC like half of the higher time people did. FOs are FOs to learn to be captains and low time guys most often learn much better. Most people are very resistant to change and if all a person knows is flying for the airlines, they will have fewer tendencies to go back to the old ways of thinking flying a 172.

Again it is two different mindsets and you can clearly see around the world that some airlines prefer low time guys whereas some prefer high time guys. Unless I see some hard statistics that show low time guys are dangerous and should not be in the cockpit, then I will believe you but until then I guess it will keep this thread alive.

Again you use words like "whizkid" because I am guessing you most likely were one of the ones to have to instruct for a long time to get into a regional which is fine. Attack the system.....not the people