View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 11:17 AM
MiserDD
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

Originally Posted by wordfromthewise View Post
hey guys, i am considering the air national guard after i graduate in april. i have read and posted alot on this subject. but now i am seriously considering it.

i am 25 yrs old. i will have a B.S. in geography with a 3.5 gpa. i am an instrument rated private pilot. I have perfect 20/20 vision and am in excellent physical condition. i am an eagle scout and have done tons of volunteer work over the years. so i would like to think that i am a decent applicant for a pilot slot in the guard. what do you think?? any advice as to what i can do to beef up my chances?

also...i plan on visiting units in my home state of california and talking to them about becoming a pilot in person. as well as some other units that are close by in surrounding states. but i also want to apply to units all over the US. i would just call those ones up. what do you guard guys think of that?? is that a good way to go about it?

thanks a ton for the advice!

The guard is like a Fraternity, you have to RUSH it. Find out where their local watering hole is and then happen to overhear one of their conversations on how great pilots they are. Sit down and start talking to them and then buy a round before they become bored with you.

Do this for a few weeks without ever mentioning your interest in the Guard and they will eventually suggest you drop a package.

Now you have your internal recs and your pledge week has begun!