View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 12:09 PM
JetJock16
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: SkyWest Capt.

Originally Posted by JSDL View Post
So are there two seperate pools, one for crj and one for emb? If one has choosen to wait in the crj pool can they switch to the emb?

Jet Jock, what's you guess on the earliest emb class?

Yes, you can switch to the EMB but I don't think they will keep you in both pools at once.

As for my "guess" when the next EMB class will be............I think they will run a Sept or Oct and Nov class. We need about another 20 or so EMB FO's in order to bring them up to adequate staffing, add to that a low attrition rate and you're probably talking 25-30 guys by years end with another 50-80 by next summer.

This is just an educated guess using our current staffing and flying levels.

We are staffed very well on the RJ and if we completely lose Midwest (which I see coming in early 09) that would put another 80 or so crews into the DAL/UAL system (it will take a lot more than losing Midwest for SKW to furlough). Add attrition to the mix and I wouldn’t be surprise if it’s the 2nd Q of 09 or LATER before they run another RJ New Hire class.

My advice is to always take the EMB. You'll make $5-10K more seeing that you'll actually be flying with line values in the upper 80 and low 90's (just holding a line on first year pay can mean an extra $800+ per month; that's around 15-25 hours extra @ $22 plus $500 or so in per diem) as compared to sitting on your ass on the RJ (75 hours @ $22 with only $100-$150 in per diem per month). You'll also be moving up the EMB FO list as those in front of you transition over to the RJ or upgrade (greatly improves you Quality Of Life and helps you deal with the first year regional woes) whereas on the RJ you will continually be pushed back on the list as EMB FO's who are senior to you transition over. There aren't too many things more depressing than seeing yourself move up then down the list as others more senior to you transition over in front of you while you wonder if you’ll EVER get the sniff of a line.

A buddy of mine was hired on the RJ last November in ORD, has NEVER BROKEN GUARANTEE (the most he’s ever flown in one month here at SKW on the RJ is 34 hours) and is still 17 guys away from an off peak line and 2 away from a peak line. He’ll hit 2nd year pay before he ever gets a sniff of a line and he’s in our most JR domicile.

Last edited by JetJock16; 08-12-2008 at 12:21 PM.