Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Feb 2006
  • Position
    DD->DH->RU/XE soon to be EV
Edited. Meant to use RA instead of DA.

Quote: .
The point remains that you cannot do the maneuver in IMC. The definition of VMC and VFR are two distinct things.
Click here, go down to Visual Meteorological Conditions. It states a specfic "minma"

V

If the 121 operator defines VMC as being 1000/3, you know, VFR, then VMC complies with the 'minima" as it's outlaid by the FAA's defintion. I don't have the CFM/FOM handy as I'm at home so I can't readily look up how XJT defines it. But some OTHER airlines, and I'm guessing for a reason, use VMC to indicate VFR. Hence, the FAA using that specific wording on the type since it was obtained under a SPECIFIC operator's training program.

Quote: So the point that you made in your posts that some circling minima are below basic VFR weather minimums is irrelevant.
How so? If the airline trains to published circling minimums, how is that irrelevant? We're trained to CAT II mins, and every time I've done it, it was to one that had a specified RA on the plate. But we can ALSO execute a CAT II that does not have a RA (PIT I believe?). The IM NOW becomes the MAP. I've never been trained nor demonstrated this type of CATII, but I can STILL do it. Our CFM/FOM/OPSPECS carry no restrictions.

Quote: That is what I was trying to point out in my example of an airline training their pilots to conduct the manuver but only to 800 and 2. That is below basic VFR weather minimums and according to your logic they would not have the restriction on their certificate since that is below basic VFR weather.
See above.