View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 01:03 PM
stobelma
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: FO

Originally Posted by Zapata View Post
This is a perfect example and an illustration of your inexperience. The PIC is the PIC, period. Saying that "you don't get to make to many decisions....clearly spelled out for you what you are required to do" is abject nonsense. You have much to learn about the concept of Pilot In Command.

So, what's your point? Sure they're different. However, there is a transfer of experience in regard to stick and rudder. One Commercial checkride hardly contributes to how one flys the aircraft in an emergency. However, experience does.

The broader message is that you said there is zero difference between an experienced CFI and a relatively fresh flight school grad when it comes to both being new-hires at an airline. I'm in the training department at my employer and although we don't hire flight school grads, I see the difference experience makes at almost every training session.

Actually, we will probably agree.....after you get some years under your belt. Not attacking you either but you have much to learn.
You did not interpret my PIC comment correctly. If all go/no go, maintenance, and overall having a procedure for every decision you make is made for you.....it does not matter if you are the student or an instructor, you are not making all the important decisions because they have been made for you. Yes I understand the concept of PIC and what it means but schools have too much on the line to allow you to make a bunch of mistakes and bad decisions, that is why they are so restrictive and have very large operating manuals.

Next, how many emergencies do most people have. If you have 1500 hours and never had an emergency, how does that make your skills been in an emergency than a 200 hour guy who has never had an emergency. There is no difference because neither person has had the experience. Just did an RFT with a high hour new hire the other day and I can tell you, more hours does not necessarily make you a better pilot when the engine starts on fire at V1.

#3 In our new hire class, there were 4 people with less than 300 hours, none of which had to ever do any retraining or failed an oral or PC. The ones who needed the most retraining were the high time instructors who are set in their current ways that they could not change and adapt to a new way of doing this. Many failed the PC in the first 5 minutes.

I disagree with you highly on you last statement as well. I do no think we will ever agree. I am a firm believer that giving people the chance is the best way to go about things. If companies want to hire low time guys, great, they are held to the same standards as everyone else. I tell you what, the one thing I learned is that you can't trust the guy sitting next to you to ever do the right thing no matter how much time they have. I have flown with guys with 50 times the hours I had still making horrible decisions even when the company, ATC, and other pilots including myself were suggesting a different solution. It all comes down to the person. You are going to get a range of good and bad pilots no matter how many hours they have coming in and to count out the low time guys because they haven't flown a 152 for 2000 hours is just wrong.