Old 08-16-2008, 02:22 PM
yacko
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: CRJ 900 F/O
Default Want a pilot slot - settle with Flight Engineer??

I am currently a CRJ 900 FO. I was previously an F-16 crew chief in the Air Force, active duty. I have my B.S. in Professional Aeronautics, almost done with my Masters in Aeronautical Science, CCAF in Aviation Maintenance Technology and my A&P license, 26 years old. I have been talking with the guard base near my home which is a C-130 base trying to get information about getting hired as a pilot. Instead they keep wanting to talk about being a flight engineer for them. They have immediate spots available and would like to hire me on. I have been told that most guard units dont like to hire off of the street but take their own guys for pilot slots so I would have a good shot at moving into a pilot slot eventually. If I was a few years younger I would definetly sign on as a FE and then pursue the pilot slot after getting to know everyone and would feel pretty good about my chances. With my age though, I feel I would just be "settling" for an enlisted position with no chance of getting the pilot slot after the time spent in training and then serving with the unit because of my current age. Not that there is anything wrong with being enlisted or being a FE but I am a pilot and that is what I want to serve as..I have been trying to contact other guard units and either do not get my calls returned at all or just get vague information or told they are not currently hiring. I am starting to feel the way I did when I orginally enlisted in the military and had to deal with recruiters and their BS..Luckily I have been there done that and know better now. Anyways, would I be selling myself short if I just went ahead and signed on for the flight engineer position and then continue to pursue the pilot slot with very limited time and chance to actually get it?? I miss being apart of the military and really want to serve again but also do not want to not live up to my full potential and worth. What would you guys reccomend I do. Just looking for any words of advice before I wind up signing on the dotted line. Thanks