View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 02:55 PM
PearlPilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: DHC-8 SIC

Thank you all for your responses. I was not happy about the price as well. For the last 4 years (during college), I tried very hard to begin my training. But things didn't work out mainly due to the cost and the job I had and the lack of time etc etc. I had already known about the aforementioned school and its high cost. So last year, I went to this very small FBO, they have a 172 ($112/ hour) and a 150 ($83/ hour) and instructor $29/hour. It's part 61. I think there were only 2 instructors there, and I talked to one person, who seemed very helpful, but he was about to go to another place.
I am a permanent resident of the U.S. and we are required to go through the TSA clearance prior to commencing training. I applied to TSA, and after close to a month, I still didn't hear from the flight school. I had explained the procedure before since they had no clue of it. Still due to the lack of instructors and technology it did not work out.
To come to my point, I decided to go to this place at the sacrifice of paying a higher price because they have had many students in the past who has gone through this process. Unlike U.S. citizens, I lack some privileges such as joining a flying club or looking for a CFI. Because the flight school has to follow specific procedures, keep records, etc etc. This is why, I really have no choice at this point. Right now I just want to get started, because this is something that I've been wanting to do for a very long time. It's alright guys, I know $200 is crazy, but for me flying is more than just about money, and from 36K a year I can hopefully squeeze in 2 or 3 lessons per week. Besides I still live with my folks so I don't pay a mortgage or car payments. I should certainly look for other options after my PPL, but right now, I just want to get started. I hope you all understand my situation, and thank you for the tips, I will have to work very hard. I was sad to get out of college since I am one of those rare people who actually miss school, so I hope that flight school would keep me busy for some time to come...
I will admit, the excitement of starting to fly supersedes the cost. Once I get into the aviation world, hopefully I can look for a better deal to do my other ratings.

Last edited by PearlPilot; 08-16-2008 at 04:44 PM.