View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Bucking Bar
Can't abide NAI

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Douglas Aerospace post production Flight Test & Work Around Engineering bulletin dissembler

Ferd:

For instance, lets say that SEA 777B, or 7ERB (767 Intl.) opens up in KSEA and a few 2007 hires jumped on it. They could probably hold the base until NWA's iron starts getting moved and displacements begin. It could be a very short base relocation with costs and displacements on both ends.

On the other hand, unless they send crews international to avoid the 30 in 7, as well as one day off in 7, I don't see how they could build all that great a 12 day trip.

I'm on the 767/757 in ATL and planning to stay put. But if a 777B slot opened up that would allow be to live on Friday Harbor and take the boat to work, well it might just have to play Ernie Gann for 24 months. (was he a NWA pilot?)

The problem (no flame, please) is that the junior pilots at Delta can hold some flying that would currently be pretty senior at NWA. I don't think a seniority inversion helps anyone over the long term, but if they open up each other's bases, I have no doubt the junior pilots would be the first movers. Could also be that some vacated DC9 Captain positions could go incredibly junior.

Wouldn't it be ironic if management decided they wanted the fences after all, to avoid what amounts to a system wide re-bid as folks want to be close to home? I'm optimistic about the merger, but with 12,500 pilots, all these bases and all this equipment - whoo hoo. It will be good for the type rating collection.

BTW, what's an MGL?

ACL:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a displacement can't the displaced pilot take any slot that is junior to them? For instance you could displace to the 737B, or MD88B, in ATL and the current seatholders would in turn be bumped down until someone got displaced off the bottom of that list, right?

Last edited by Bucking Bar; 08-19-2008 at 12:05 PM.