View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Pilotpip
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2005
Position: Retired

Things are tough all over. I've had a couple interviews (outside of the field) and my aviation degree hasn't helped. Go to a state school, save money. Go to a cheap FBO, save money. Your certificates don't say where they're from. As long as your degree comes from an accredited university it's all good.

You and I aren't all that different. I didn't do great in highschool because I basically didn't care about it and had to work 30-40 hours a week to help my mom pay the bills. While I struggled through highschool, I thrived in college. Graduated with a 3.6 from a private university. It's amazing how taking classes that interest you and breaking highschool mentality can help.

In sum, it sounds like most of it has been covered. Find something that intrests you. Get a degree in that. There's your plan B. Take the money you save, and get your ratings through a local FBO. Find one you like, and has a good reputation. If you can afford to, do it while in school (summer?). After a couple years you could be instructing, getting paid to build time while finishing your degree.

One last thing: You have 46 more years to play airline pilot. Enjoy your youth and enjoy the college experience.

Post more, and feel free to PM me.