View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 09:41 AM
kalyx522
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: Student Pilot

Originally Posted by Machnumber View Post
So I filled out a ALPA card being told it was so we could have the right to vote. I also filled out a IBT card but am now being told it basically said I was Voting for IBT. I think it would be great to see a union help out our company... but I will wait to make the most informed decision I can. Can anyone shed light on what that IBT card people filled out really meant?
Yes, the IBT letter you signed is basically a vote. If you took the time to read the small paragraph at the bottom, it says:

"...to conduct and investigation and a representation election and/or to represent me for all purposes under the Railway Act..."

The ALPA card says:

"...to conduct and investigation and representation election pursuant to the Railway Labor Act and, upon winning, to represent me for purposes..."

I think it's extremely shady of Teamsters to do this, probably knowing that a lot of pilots won't bother to read that small paragraph. That's the first indication to me right there of a shady union I don't want representing me.

And it's exactly like what the Steel Workers union pulled on our flight attendants last year. I mean cmon what the heck is a steel workers union doing representing flight attendants? We're not even flight attendants, but any of us would agree that AFA would've been a smarter choice for them. So why would any one of us think that a trucking union would be better for us pilots? Are we really dumb enough to let the same thing happen to us?

I am so annoyed of hearing about this ******* staple job... I can't believe my fellow pilots would be so stupid not to know the law and think that this would ever even happen. None of those douchebags over at EWR or even Houston are researching facts for themselves but merely basing all their opinions on PURE HEARSAY. Way to decide your futures!

What's most annoying is the fact that a lot of pilots DID fall for this IBT card scheme.. they have no idea they signed a vote. Seriously, they didn't even have to read a lot, it's ONE sentence. This is especially frustrating given that a good percentage of them are still undecided.

And dues? OK, so Teamsters dues is like ~1.5%, and ALPA is like ~1.9%. Based on a first year FO guarantee (since the majority of FOs are still on their first year), the difference of .4% comes out to 6 bucks per month. Congrats, you just saved 6 bucks on dues and got yourself a ****tier union in the process!

Ok I will stop this rant before I give myself a stroke. All I ask of my fellow pilots is to some factual research!!!