Thread: FDX-PDO Bump
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 06:41 AM
Bamaboy
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Default Careful...

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
A true statement. I just did this very thing yesterday. I needed landings to avoid yet another NOQ situation. I did email the captain involved but didn't get an answer as quickly as I had hoped for. In the end I made a command decision and submitted the bump request without his approval. When I did hear from him he was a very happy junior pilot. Imagine, someone more junior than me!
Ranger, I'm assuming that you know the guy, and/or knew his situation before unilaterally making this decision for him. Does he live in domicile? Are you sure he's not visiting a sick friend/family member on the layover, checking out real estate, or any other of a plethora of possible reasons he may have for wanting that trip? In my book, either way, this is a foul. What you're saying is that you got yourself into a behind, waited too long to fix it, then bailed yourself out at the possible expense of another. A command decision is fine, but only if the individual is under your command. I'm glad that it worked out for all involved, but if you continue to do this you'll eventually run into someone who doesn't appreciate your "help", and it could get ugly...

Bamaboy