View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 08:44 PM
FDXFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: ANC-Based MD-11 FO

Hi USMCFLYR,

No, not at all. I think everyone assumes pilots have applications out with a lot of different airlines. My initial comment was based upon advice I was given when I was making the move from military to civilian flying and I was asking the same question: "maybe having a type rating would improve my chances of getting a job?" It's just that in our company, having a type rating is not a requirement and there was a time (maybe not so much anymore) when interviewers would really grill a candidate about their career goals to try to prevent spending a lot of money on hiring and training costs on a new hire who intends to leave for another airline when the opportunity presents itself. It would be difficult to say that FedEx or UPS are your number one choice if you show up with a 737 type rating without time in the aircraft. The conclusion being that you obviously spent big bucks for a rating for some reason and since neither FedEx nor UPS operate that airplane and assuming people don't go around throwing money at type ratings, then maybe an airline that requires a type rating (SWA?) is the guy's real goal.

But it would be easily explained (if asked, but it sounds from other posters that it isn't being asked now) as leaving your options open, wanting to get some big jet experience or just increasing ones' comfort factor in the sim.