View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 09:59 AM
RawTriGuy
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: B-737 CA, TRI

Originally Posted by BoredwLife View Post
It’s been stated on here before and it is believed that Americans are lazy. Now take that when the part of the presentation showed the demographic of the company, Americans made up the least of any other group.

Yes I am American.

I think that the bigger picture that you may not be seeing is that on the presentation when they showed the demographics of all the counties, was for all people working at the airline, not just the pilots. I think there where some 80-90 nationalities repersented. Looking at the airline as a whole the pilots make up a very small percentage of the total, so in my mind the American percentage would in fact be small, even though you have a large percentage in the pilot group that are from the US.

As for the nationality issue I have the opposite opinion. American pilots and pilots that are trained in the US are very well trained (and in general have much more experiance) compared to other parts of the world, that is why companies like Emeriates and Etihad are over here recruiting. We have a much better of well trained pilots here than in other parts of the world.

Sure Japan for example may have a great training program for their pilots but they are going into that B747 with essentially enough time to get a license and no real flying experiance, whereas a pilot on the same airplane in the states has probably been a flight instructor, flown single pilot night frieght in a piston twin, upgraded to some kind of a turboprop, moved into an RJ at a regional or two and upgraded and finally gotten to a position to get that B747 job after getting 10 or more years of flying experiance, if that same pilot was in the PAX side of things make that 15 to 20 years.

As far as lazy...