View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Nevets
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: EMB 145 CPT

Originally Posted by MudPupppy View Post
It's funny how they say voluntary recognition does exist, but not likely used because companies don't want unions. That's exactly what happened with our flight attendants. Colgan voluntary recognized the Steel workers to prevent having to deal with the AFA just last year.

Not impressed with the IBT drive at all
I've actually heard rumors that Colgan will voluntarily allow the IBT to represent their pilots without having a vote. I didn't even know that they did that with their flight attendants. But if true, it says a lot that they would want the IBT rather than ALPA.

Originally Posted by saabguy493 View Post
Do you really think that you are going to get all those new guys to sign a card and pay union dues for 10 years until you get a contract!?!?! Seriously, I know it was close last time but I just don't seeing it getting voted in this year either. I just hope that everyone gets informed as to the pros and cons of what alpa is going to do. Teamsters is the lesser of two evils anyway... flame on!
Where did you get 10 years from? And assuming that was true, how would IBT change that?

Originally Posted by The Juice View Post
Here is was big key for me. Both ALPS and Teamsters is offering informational gatherings for the Colgan pilots at various locations including IAH where I am based.

ALPA came to the airport and had pilots and reps on property to answer questions for pilots in the terminal when we had a few minutes between flights.

Teamsters has not come to the airport, they have their little meetings at the headquarters in IAH.

Teamsters is not even willing to come to the airport to talk to us, what does that say?
That is because ALPA is a union ran by pilots and not union bosses. It is run by people that have a vested interest in the profession because they are in the profession.